"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

There aren't any Guarantees

My pastor reminded me Sunday that my life on this earth is but a second compared to eternity.  It's but a breadth.  As I sit here looking at our new Golden Retriever, Sam, I wonder if he realizes just how short his life may be.  When we rescued Sam, we were told that he was 6-7 years old and in good health.   After two weeks of our new ownership, our vet surprised us with the reality that Sam is actually 10-11 years old, practically blind and practically deaf.  He's arthritic to the max and has hip dysplasia.  Hmmm.  So, imagine our surprise, less than 8 weeks since our adoption, when Sam started displaying signs of extreme illness.  He's lethargic, swelling, etc.  Apparently, he was bitten by a spider and has suffered a severe allergic reaction. Such a sweet, sweet friend.


When I look at him, does he know that his life on this earth could be only a few more days, hours?  Then, I realize that my life on this earth may be just that, as well.  None of us know the exact date and time of our exit from this earth, and it's just as well that we don't.  Most of us are familiar with the saying, 'There are no guarantees in life except death and taxes."   Well, materialistically there aren't, but spiritually, there are.  We know that life will be hard, but we also know that there is a God who gives us mercy and grace, when we least deserve it, and provides an eternity of goodness for those who believe.


What would I do if I knew that my life on this earth would be ending shortly?  Would I work less?  Would I spend more time with my family?  With my children? In the Word? Dancing more and complaining less?  Would I try to make more of a difference on this earth?  Would I really attempt to make my mark on this temporary world and leave an eternal legacy for my children?  I hope so, but I really don't know what I would do.  When I ponder this question, I think about the 'Make a Difference Mondays' that a local radio station sponsors.  Why not "Make a Difference" everyday?  Why not make every day moments into WOW moments with my family and with others? 

Does Sam believe?  I doubt it.  I would love to think that I will see him again someday in heaven.  I just know that I need to make the best of every day, treat it as though it were my last and follow the adage, "Dance as if no one is watching, Sing as though no one is listening, and live as though it's your very last day."

No comments:

Post a Comment