"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

I remember, in my much younger days, when I would anxiously await the four o'clock hour.  I would ensure my littles were either napping or occupied and that dinner had already been started. I would get a blanket, turn on the TV and kick back to watch The Oprah Winfrey Show.  Back then, watching the The Oprah Winfrey Show just seemed to relax me a bit, re-energize me so that I could tackle the remainder of the day, and it would leave me feeling oh so good.

That was then, and this is now.  I am now, Praise God, a much, much wiser woman, and I still almost always think of Oprah when 4:00 pm rolls around, but now it's for a much different reason. It's to pray for her and for her many, many disciples and followers--over 2,000,000 and counting.  Yes, Oprah, her program, her network and her magazine have become the largest church in the entire world.  It's unbelievable that a woman of such humble beginnings could be one of the most, if not the most, richest person in America.  Monetarily that is.  Not spiritually.  It's very sad when someone, with such a huge sphere of influence, critically misleads so many people who have entrusted themselves to her.

What? Why don't I like Oprah?  Why don't I like her teachings? How can I, as a good Christian, not like such a wonderful, philanthropic woman?  I mean, come on...she gives and gives and gives, both of time and resources.  Well, I don't like her one bit because she is misleading two entire generations of people into believing things that are totally contrary to the Bible.  Her new age doctrine and beliefs are enough to put any God believing, Oprah following Christian in hell.  Even Satan believes in God, and yet he trembles. And he very well should.  Matthew 24:10-11 clearly states, "And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many."  Matthew 7:14 reminds us to, “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." I think that Oprah Winfrey is most definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing.

One reason I think this way is because Oprah emphatically denies that Jesus is the Only Way. She says that it is impossible that there is only one way. Yet John 14:16 clearly states, "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'"  She claims that there are many more paths to God other than Christianity. Yet  Acts 4:12 says, "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” Wow. I think that about says it all.

Oprah insists that Jesus did not come to die on the cross.  She says that He came to let us recognize our inner consciousness.  Well lady, what about John 3:16?  "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  The church of Oprah teaches that who you are requires no belief, that heaven is not a location but rather it refers to an inner realm of consciousness, that the Man on the cross is every man and every woman.  She teaches that there is no sin, that, "God is a feeling experience and not a believing experience.  If your religion is a believing experience then God, for you, is still a belief and that it truly not God."

As I sit here writing all of this, I am saddened that so many seemingly bright, intelligent, sweet and kind Christians believe it's still OK to allow this woman into their homes daily, thus indirectly following this blasphemy.  Yikes.  The Bible clearly states that we should avoid even the appearance of evil.  I would think that would mean to stay away from a woman who clearly does not believe in the Word of God and who actively and publicly speaks against it.  In most Christian circles, we would call someone who recruits others to her anti-Biblical belief system, not just misguided, but blasphemous.  Not just misinformed, but evil.  I tend to agree.  I don't even want the TV on when she is on it.  I don't want her voice permeating my home--regardless of what her program is about.

So, I sit here at 4:00 pm, writing and relaxing, not watching Oprah.  Nope, no background noise today.  I feel bad that I've even felt compelled to write about Oprah today, but I am sick and tired of so many Christians drinking her proverbial 'kool aid' and enjoying it.  I know that I wouldn't hang around a known liar even on a good day, so why would I ever intentionally allow one in my home?  I wouldn't, and I'm happy that my children wouldn't either.  Sure, sometimes we are tempted when we see that she is having an interview with someone that we like. But the bottom line is that we don't and we shouldn't.

I realize that my position on this world renown billionaire is not a popular one.  But, then again, whoever said I needed to agree with popular opinion or go with the flow?  True Christians typically don't 'go with the flow;' they form their own opinions and back them up with Biblical truths; they travel the road less traveled and make deep grooves; they are the silent crusaders, the prayer warriors battling on their knees, true soldiers in God's army.

"Most will never see their faces, never know their name.
What they do, they do alone, they don't need no fame.
On their knees they touch the Lord, knowing He will care.
Changing things that man can't change, with a simple prayer.

They are prayer warriors, fighting on their knees.
True soldiers in the Lord's army.
Frontliners, fighting every hour.
Doing battle everyday, with supernatural power."

Are you a prayer warrior for the things that matter to you and to God?  I know that I want to be one.  I know that this world could use a lot more prayer warriors who battle on their knees than Oprah Winfreys who battle over the airways and through the television sets.  This world needs more Christians who are willing to 'fight the good fight,' stand up for Biblical truths, and not only not drink the kool-aid, but to dump it all out.

May you be blessed today with the knowledge that God is God no matter what anyone preaches and that God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, regardless of what anyone thinks, says or does. 

I would really love and appreciate your comments on this.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight on Oprah's worldview. I'm aware of it but you put it succintly and clearly. I have to ask though, are you implying that if a christian watches Oprah, he/she is sinning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, goodness, no. I would hope that you know me better than that. I am merely saying that, as Christians, we need to exercise extreme caution when considering who to allow inside our home--either through the television or through the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good, thanks for clearing that up. I do enjoy her interviews and tune her in occasionally. Personally, I don't find her evil, but lost. Rick says 'the best lie is 90% true.' I agree. It is because I know the Truth that I'm able to watch the Oprah's interviews for what they are....mind numbing entertainment:) I am really glad that she just met her sister (that she didn't know she had) and that her sister, Patricia is a Christian! Yesssss.......As many of us that pray for Oprah's salvation, I wouldn't be surprised at all if her sister leads her to the Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well stated, Bon. I love Rick's definition of the best lie. It's so very true. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete