"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recuperation

Today was definitely a day of recuperation from the hub-bub of my daily life that has seemingly become so normal for me. Between working full time, single parenting three wonderful teenagers, teaching a Bible study, working out, physical therapy, friends and family, my life is busy---with a capital "B".  Is is good?  It's great, also with a capital "G."  Would I change anything? No.  But, an occasional day of recuperation is a welcome respite from my hectic lifestyle that I live.

What do you do when you want to unwind?  Watch a movie? Read a book? Work out?  Sleep? Cook? Get on Facebook? Write a blog?  I do all of the those things and many more.  Any of those things, in and of itself, can be relaxing, and it can also be demanding.  I personally feel  that's how reading the Word of God used to be to me--relaxing and demanding.  I would read it out of obedience, with the intention of hurrying through and attempting to complete as many pages, chapters and verses as possible.  My reading was becoming a self imposed, demanding ritual.  Now, however, I read God's Word to relax and change.  That makes all the difference in the world.

Just as in a healthy relationship. People communicate, spend time with each to get to know one another and to relax.  I just want to have a healthy relationship with the Lord. Thus, I should treat that relationship like any other that I have.  I need to consistently speak with Him, listen to Him, read His letters to me and respond.  How do I respond?  Through change.  When I think of my relationship with the Lord this way, it is very comforting and not any work at all.  You know how some relationships are just plain difficult?  Well, my relationship with my Creator is not meant to be that way at all.  It's meant to be a source of contentment, true love and beauty and growth.

It's all about perspective.  Single  parenting is both relaxing (think same taste in movies) and demanding (think dating).  Working out can be very relaxing (think hot tub) and very demanding (think sweat and dislocated shoulder).  And teaching a Bible Study can be both, as well.  Think enjoying snacks and changed lives and then think of the hours of preparation.  As with most anything, my creative outlets need to have balance.  Sure, I can work out.  Even daily, if need be.  But, I need to have balance.  Thus, the need for a day of recuperation.  If the Blizzard of 2011 is one of the few ways that I am able to have a day of recuperation, then God Bless the snowfall.

Here's hoping that you were able to spend some time recuperating today.  Recuperating from the stress of your daily life, from a physical injury or just from being a soccer mom or dad.  May you be blessed as you put your feet up, watch a movie, read the Word and/or sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment