"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Visions and Insults

“If the size of the vision for your life isn’t intimidating to you, chances are it’s insulting to God.”  I borrowed this quote from a friend who recently heard it at a Chick-Fil-A company meeting.  Wow! And when I read it, I really had to pause.  I mean, shoot.  I hope I'm not insulting God.

As I sit here and ponder my life vision, it's rather exciting.  Not to be dramatic or anything, but I doubt I would have called it a 'vision for my life,' but rather, 'what I want my future to hold.' As if I have much say in the matter. Goodness, I know that my life is made up of choices--good and bad--and chances are, the way I respond to those choices will determine my future.  But, you know what?  I'd like to think that my future holds  more than just my responses to the choices thrown at me.  No, I want to believe, and actually do believe, that although I may correctly and incorrectly make choices that help determine my future, ultimately God will determine my future.

That's a total relief, especially considering my past.  I mean, I wouldn't want to repeat that at all.  I know the Lord has plans for me, and I know that they are totally awesome.

Proverbs 20:24 says, "A person’s steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand their own way?

Well, that's good to know because I generally need some major directing in my steps.  If I had to count on the fact that I would be the one doing the directing, I would be in a sorry state. Geesh!  Why people want to direct their own future is just beyond me.  I wouldn't even really want to supervise my future.

Proverbs 16;9 says, "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.

Do you honestly think that the Lord wrote those words because he just had some extra ink and paper? I don't think so. I think He meant it as a comfort and as a saving grace to us.  Just when we think that we have everything all planned out, the rug gets pulled out from under us.  Just when the rug gets pulled out from under us, and we are ready to give up on our future, a little voice whispers, "Shari, you may plan your course, but I alone will establish your steps.  I will ultimately determine where you go. Don't worry.  I have it covered."  Whew!  That's a relief.

Back to the 'life vision--possibly insulting God--Chick-Fil-A quote.  Oh yeah, my life vision.  Does it sinc with the Lord's life vision for me?   I hope so.  I have so many plans for my future, and as they say, "My future's so bright, I need to wear shades."  Ha.  I've got plans that I've shared with only a precious few, and they have been sworn to secrecy, lest they be struck by lightening.  I have, however, written down these plans, only because I believe in prophecy but because the Lord has spoken these plans for me. Plans for my future.

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plan to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Not only do I thoroughly believe this Old Testament quote, but I live by it.  I've claimed it for myself, and I have claimed it for my children.  I have claimed this quote for quite a few people over the years, and I  am always excited about God's revelations regarding it.  My future is tomorrow, but is also next week, next month, next year, next decade, etc.  College was in my high school future.  Career was in my college future.  Marriage and children were in my career future. And only God knows what my next future will hold.  I know what my ultimate future holds, in eternity, but I have to admit, I would love to have a crystal ball and be able to see next week, next month, and even next year.

I'd love to see job's future (considering they are laying off daily), my children's futures, my grandchildren, etc.  There's just so very much, and it's all very good.

It's especially good because, now that I think about it, I am definitely not insulting God.  And that's always a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment