"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunny and Warm

Yes, a sudden reprieve from the ravages of an Ohio winter; it has been sunny and warm all week here in NW Ohio. OK. I realize that warm is relative, but considering it has been below freezing (more like sub zero) temperatures, resting comfortably in the mid-forties is very warm. Almost tropical--at least to me. Whoever would even remotely describe NW Ohio as being 'almost tropical,' is surely desperate.

With the craziness of this past week, I have been, unfortunately, unable to bask in any of our new found sunshine and warmth. With work, Sam's untimely passing, school activities and family commitments, I have only been able to enjoy this weather from afar. That's OK though. I have thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it has been from a distance. It's given me a craving for Spring, for crocus emerging through the soil, for birds chirping in the morning hours (preferably after I am already awake), for long walks and even longer runs, and for Summer...visits to the beach, vacation in Daytona Beach, graduation parties, cookouts, Mudhens baseball, kids home all day, waking up knowing it's going to be warm outside, ice cream cones, etc. Yes, I thoroughly love Spring and Summer and can't wait for their arrival.

I love sleeping in on a summer vacation day, sipping coffee and reading the newspaper outside in the backyard and just walking the neighborhood. Actually, now that I think of it, I really miss walking my neighborhood. I'll have to begin doing that again, regardless of the weather. Domino is beginning to become a bit pudgy, and I'm sure he'd enjoy it, too. I haven't been able to walk the dogs of late, not only because of the weather, but also because, as tame and timid as they were, they would go wild when they were together walking. For being a trained therapy dog, Domino sure taught Sam some wild antics. Anyway...

Back to dreaming. Who doesn't love laying in a hammock, sipping a diet coke. Wait a minute. That is, once you have gotten yourself settled comfortably in the hammock--without leaning too much to either one side or the other and falling out. And camping. Ahh...camping. I think I am getting ahead of myself. I need to just keep reminding myself that it's almost Spring, and then Summer. Spring first. Most people say, "Rain, rain go away. Come again another day." I say, "Bring on the rain." At least that means it's not snowing, and it's a telltale sign of Spring. I also say, "Winter, Winter go away. Don't come back another day. Ever."

So, I guess I will just enjoy this unexpected burst of warmth and sunshine, walks and thaws, puddles and light jackets, and just pray that it lasts longer than it inevitably will. Maybe, I'll actually go for a walk tomorrow. Be blessed as you enjoy this Lord's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment