"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

Monday, January 9, 2012

More Prayers Please

Good Morning. Well, it isn't really, but that's kind of what I am used to saying. It's been an excruciatingly long 24 hours, but we are muddling through. Bethany was up all night moaning and crying in pain. I kept vigil, replacing her hot compresses every 5 minutes or so (never realized just how much I can crave sleep - except when I had a newborn). She's on IV's, Foley catheter, Morphine and Percocet, Bactrim, Vesicare, Flexeril (however, they have administered it for 12 hours-sigh-and Zofran. She is constantly nauseous, therefore, she hasn't eaten in 36 hours.

To top everything off, the doctor(s) came in this morning, and after viewing her incision, they said that it didn't look good. The incision is red and has pus leaking from it. Definitely not good. They took a large sample, and have determined Bethany to have Bacterial Meningitis. YUCK! This explains the pain throughout her entire body. The plan is to get her on some antibiotics (still waiting on Pharmacy for the IV drip), put her on some steroids, have a consult with an infectious disease doctor, and give it a few days. I'm sure the doctor will tell me more later when he comes in. He is currently doing surgery at St. Lukes, and will be in this afternoon.

As for the brain shunt, it is on hold until this infection is resolved, and Bethany is healed. Grrrr. I know Bethany is totally stressing about school (Spring, 2012, classes resume today), her dorm (if she needs a Medical leave from school, she needs to move out ASAP in order to receive a refund), my time off of work (I only have two more days sick time because I used all of my sick time when I was sick in 2010), and all of the noise.

Well, although I hate to be the bearer of bad news, it is what it is. I know that God is bigger than all of this; bigger than bacterial meningitis, bigger than a shunt, bigger than a spinal cord tether, bigger than the boogie man, and He is bigger than you and me. I know that He is molding and shaping Bethany, throughout all of this, to become the Woman of God that He has destined her to become. She will have such an awesome testimony, and I can't wait to hear her deliver it in front of crowds of disabled and/or disadvantaged children and adults. She is a working miracle, and yet still a 'work in progress,' as we all are.

Bethany is FINALLY sleeping. Thank God! Considering she's been up all night, this is a very good thing. Thank you for continuing to pray for her health, mental state, pain level, appetite, and comfort. We love you all.

Blessings and peace, yours sisters in Christ, Shari and Bethany Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment