"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

Friday, January 6, 2012

Well, it's another weekend, and life goes on....

Good evening,

Well, today hasn't gone quite as planned. But then again, yesterday didn't either. If you have read my prior post, you'll remember that, although Bethany had been discharged from St. Vincent's Neuro unit yesterday, she had a major CSF (spinal fluid) leak and had to be re-admitted through the ER last night--merely 5 or so hours after her initial discharge. Although frustrated and sad, Bethany and I were both confident that she only needed two additional staples and then she would be able to return home today.

Well.....we were wrong. After sleeping on the hard, hospital floor in Bethany's new room last night, I awoke to find Dr. Healy entering the room at 6:00 am. He greeted Bethany with the news that she would quite possibly need a shunt. Wow. None of us (Bonnie, Bethany or me) saw that coming. Hmmm. Let's see, on one hand, we think two staples and au revoir, and on the other hand, shave 1/2 of her head of beautiful, blonde hair, implant a device through her brain, through her abdomen and monitor it for a lifetime. Decisions, decisions.

Bethany immediately said she did not want the shunt. I was definitely on board with her decision, however, we weren't sure what our other options were either. I looked up some videos on YouTube, (NEVER do that. I repeat, never get medical information from YouTube) read some information on google, and prayed and prayed. Bonnie and prayed with Bethany that she would hear and know a direct answer from the One who ultimately created her and knows her innermost being. We also prayed that she would continue to hear from her Creator and that we would hear the confirmation, as well.

Bethany had a CT scan this morning that showed that her ventricles are extremely small and that Dr. Healy would need to use a computer to guide him with the shunt. After asking numerous questions of Dr. Healy's resident, Chris, we decided to lay low for the weekend, and see how things progress. If we want the shunt on Sunday evening, Dr. Healy will implant it on Monday. He also offered to implant it on Saturday or Sunday--whichever she prefers.

So....as it stands, we have been transferred back to the Neuro unit, into a private room, across from one of the many nurses stations. Bethany is just going to wait out the weekend, read magazines, peruse the internet, order room service, and bide her time until Monday. Thus, I will, too.

I did, however, run home today to see Jonathan off to head to DTW for a flight to Jamaica tomorrow morning. I have really missed seeing him these past ten days, so it was nice to even spend just an hour with him. After he left for Jamaica, I took a nap (considering I didn't get but 2.5 hours of sleep last night, and even that, was on a very hard floor. Bethany, Bonnie and I are just planning on watching a little TV and reading magazines from the area lobbies. ha ha. Bethany is still on percocet and can't wait until her next dosage, although her headaches are not nearly as bad as they have been. Woo Hoo!

Thanks again for all of your prayers. Please continue to pray that we are all able to make a God driven decision regarding her medical care.

Blessings, peace and much joy, Shari and Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment